Sunday, January 3, 2021

Week One - 2021

Well, we did manage to stay up past midnight New Year's Eve.  And celebrated by dancing a waltz together.

We also enjoyed a neighbour's impressive fireworks display.


---------------------------------------------------

 Kind of a letdown after New Years.  Mardi and I did a couple of two kilometre walks (for my non-metric brother, that's about a mile and a half each time) but otherwise it's pretty boring.

I intend to make a pine dining room table as a start to replacing Mardi's somewhat dated dining room set.  So we headed for Lowe's to check out lumber.  Surprise!  Only online curbside pickup.  The table is just a picture in my mind right now so I need to see and touch the wood before I start.  I guess that will have to wait for at least a month.

-----------------------------------------------

Watched Canada dominate Finland on Thursday in the World Junior Hockey Championship.  Saturday, in the quarter finals, they beat the Czech Republic in a hard fought game.

Next up will be Russia in the semi finals on Monday at 5:30 p.m.  Exciting hockey!

-------------------------------------------------

Rada sent me a separate email that mentioned Hogmanay, the Scottish term for New Year's.  That triggered memories that I documented for my siblings and kids.  

The Scots believe that the first person over the threshold in the New Year should have dark hair.  Dad used to visit a few of the neighbours to be their "first footer" (he could also have been encouraged by the tradition of giving the first footer a drink or goodies😃).

Another memory has since come back.  My paternal grandfather played the violin, although in the half dozen times that I met him I didn't witness it.  He also wrote music, and I remember seeing, in Mom's trove of keepsakes, a professionally printed copy of sheet music called "March of the Double Eagle".  Wish I still had it.

I seem to have inherited Mom's keepsake bent.  Among the cards I've saved, I still have all the cards that were sent to me while I spent six weeks in hospital with my broken back.  And the letters that David sent home the summer he worked in Germany.  Just a sentimental old fool I guess.

-----------------------------------------------

Stay well.  Keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment