Friday, May 8, 2020

VE Day

Today is the 75th anniversary of victory in Europe in WW11.  I remember my uncle Roy coming home from war when I was 8 years old.  He was in the Canadian Engineers and participated in the liberation of Holland.  His job was to blow up enemy ammunition that was left behind when they retreated, and allies' ammunition when our forces were pushed back.  He was among the last to retreat in those cases and his war experience affected him negatively for the rest of his life.   But he and dad had a close relationship and were always kibitzing.  Happy times for the seven years they were able to be together again.
-------------------------------------
Had an interesting day today!  I've never cut grass in these weather conditions before - plus 4 C with snow flurries!  Just a bit chilly!  It's incredible the working conditions we golf course maintenance people have to deal with.  

But the first two holes, closest to the greenhouse, are done.  The back field is still 2 or 3 days away from being cut I think.  But decent weather won't start until after that anyway.
-------------------------------------
Mardi needs a haircut - says she's starting to look like ten miles of bad road.  She's exaggerating of course - seven kilometres max would be my guess. 
-------------------------------------
CHCH had a generic item on the six o'clock news about garden centres being able to open if they follow the same rules as grocery stores.  They showed a shot of David's sign and the greenhouse - a nice follow-up to their story about him giving away $250,000 worth of Easter Lilys.
Looks like I snapped this picture just as they were switching from his sign (the ghost image) to the greenhouse.

I was amazed when I was there cutting grass earlier this afternoon.  The parking lot was almost full despite the weather.  It looks like the Easter event may have moved Trillium Hill to a new level!  Nice to see.
--------------------------------------------
We did our Oh Canada song at 7 p.m. from the balcony tonight, Mardi on ukelele and me with the accordion, but I think we were the only ones crazy enough to ignore the cold.

And Kathryn and Kimi were the only brave souls in the audience.  If you want a hoot, check out her video (she eventually takes her finger off the lense😏)
https://youtu.be/rGMssM3E3xM

Love you Kathryn!
------------------------------------------
Take care.  Stay safe.  Be nice.  Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment