Thursday, May 28, 2020

A Little Bit Happened

Got some good advice from Gary/Sven and Barry about the relative merits of rye brands after yesterday's post.  I should tell them that I haven't been a slave to Canadian Club during the pandemic.  In fact, since our duty free bottles expired I have been finishing off old part bottles of Crown Royal, Gooderham and Worts, and now, Canadian Club Classic 12 year old, whilst I leave the newly purchased, and harsher, Canadian Club Original for Mardi (her preference).

These times do call for sacrifice!  Having a dull palate makes it easy, but I do think those other brands are often too sweet and smooth.
------------------------------------
Al Knapp  provided me with a copy of his mother's memoirs, "Saskatunes And Gopher Tales", and it has been a fascinating read.  Her writing was elegant and insightful.  Memories from her childhood in Kelvington, Saskatchewan - a different time for sure.  An autobiography for Al to treasure.

Lots of happy times, but her stories also included the Great Depression, hailstorms that destroyed crops, grass hopper plagues - a hard life that makes today's trials seem pretty mundane.  "A time of shattered hopes and dreams for many, but it was also a time of sharing and quiet dignity."

Her stories brought back many memories for me as well.  Listening to Fibber McGee and Molly,  The Shadow, Bert Pearl and The Happy Gang on the radio.  I also listened to The Green Hornet and Amos and Andy.

The outhouse, and in winter the chamber pot.  School days.  Making snow angels.  Memories come flooding back.

Thanks Al.  A wonderful gift from your mother.
-------------------------------------
Take care.  Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment