Tuesday, May 26, 2020

A Love Story

We'll get to the title in a minute.  First, the golf.

Had a tee time with some of the Dofasco golfers today, so headed out at 9 a.m.  This sign has been by the elevator for a couple of months.  

Up until now, not much of a problem.  But, today, I picked the wrong time to leave.  A lot of dog owners apparently pick 9 a.m. to take their dogs out.

First elevator had a lady and her dog.  So I couldn't get on.  Second elevator had a different lady and her dog so I couldn't get on.  Third elevator had the first lady and her dog - returning from their "duty", so I couldn't get on.

Ten minutes had passed so I headed for the stairs.  As it turned out there was only one of the three elevators running - could have been there all day!
--------------------------------------
Got to MontHill and met the guys.  Gary and Calvin went out first.  Calvin apparently hit his first tee shot far to the left.

Al, Ron and I set out next.  On the first hole I drowned two balls in the water.  On the second hole, my second shot hit a tree and came back past me - so then I drowned it too.  During the round I also lost two balls just off the fairway - the rough was about 4 inches long and dead grass cuttings were laying on top.

Eventually, I got my swing back and had a decent back nine for the first time out.

Golf is very different this year, but nice to get out with friends.




And, nobody succumbed to the heat and humidity, so Calvin didn't have to perform CPR and De-Fib on any victims.  Sorry Calvin.

And, now for the love story.  During the round Al, who knows both of us, asked me how Mardi and I met.  The first time I saw Mardi had to be over 40 years ago.  Mardi's husband, Geoff, was the Dofasco choir master.  At Christmas the ladies were invited to join the choir.  Mardi was one, my secretary Marilyn Vermeulen was another.  Marilyn had a Christmas party for the choir and invited Jean and I.

Mardi and I remember catching each other's eye across the room.  No words were spoken, but years later we each remembered not only the occasion, but what each of us was wearing that night.

Flash forward about 25 years.  Our friend Ed Strecker's daughter had arranged a dance in support of autistic kids and Ed called to see if I would support it.  I told him I'd like to but Jean and I had been separated for 8 months and I would need a date - preferably someone who could dance and if they played golf even better.
After a short pause, Ed said "You know Mardi Bullivant.  She and her boy friend have broken up.  Why don't you call her?"

I did call Mardi and asked her to the dance.  She immediately said "Yes!" (Ed had given her advance warning).  I replied "That was easy."  In typical Mardi fashion, she replied "Well, I could say no if you want."

A day later I discovered that it was a dinner/dance so I called her back with this information.  Her reply "Good - even better, maybe if I'm good you'll buy me a drink."

Two days later, totally smitten, I invited Mardi to golf, which we did on Hallowe'en.  After golf I helped her to give out the treats and headed home, hopelessly in love.

It took Mardi a few more dates before she succumbed to my charms!  But, I'm glad she did - there is no one else that I would rather be quarantined/isolated with than my love.  

Thank you Ed!!!  You are the ultimate matchmaker.  

So, now you know the rest of the story.
------------------------------------------
Tomorrow it's back to the greenhouse.  Stay well.


No comments:

Post a Comment