Friday, May 1, 2020

Oh Canada

Took a side trip to Ace Tire (owned by Gary Bartkewicz, a good friend of Barbara and Jo-Ann) to pick up the right driving wheel for the garden mower (tread on the old tire had separated and it could only hold air for a couple of days) and then to the greenhouse to put it back on the mower.

Enjoyed the smaller Magnolia which is putting on a bit of a show right now.
The older, bigger Magnolia seems to be a bit behind this one.

Other than the row of Pine trees up the east property line and the Cypress trees on the west side, all of the plantings on the property are "Charlie Brown" plants that I rescued that were unsaleable.

The tree in the picture below started out as a stunted little guy with about four branches.  Look at it now!
I would pick these out when I was running the garden centre for David and stick them where I thought they would thrive.  More recently, Cindy (she currently runs the garden centre) will let me know when she has some plants that are about to be thrown out and I try to find a spot for them.  Not always successful, but the victories are a feel good story.  

I also transplanted three trees (a Chestnut and two Oaks) that squirrels had planted at our property in Stoney Creek.  The deer took a toll on them for a couple of years until I figured out that we needed some temporary fencing around them.  They seem to be thriving now.

Did some gardening and came home whipped.  The body doesn't bend the way it used to.
-----------------------------------------
Mardi and I sat out on the balcony for about an hour soaking up the sun and enjoying the view.  My abstinence ended at the 48 hour mark.
-----------------------------------------
Mardi is making a daily effort to contact some church members to see how they are holding up.  And, she and four other members of the choir are recording hymns for their weekly audio service.
-----------------------------------------
Someone in our building came up with the idea that the residents should go out on their balcony and sing Oh Canada at 7 p.m. on Friday nights.  We did that last week, but with the unveiling of the accordion I decided to add some accompaniment.
Several units joined in, including these folks, plus some people just walking by.
Even got a smattering of applause.  We'll have to put this on the calendar for every Friday.  Come on by.  It'll be our street version of a kitchen party.
---------------------------------------
Stay safe.  Have fun.  Do a good deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment