Thursday, March 19, 2020

Home, But Not Alone

Had a very poor night's sleep but got an early start.  Breakfast was similar to my experience yesterday - some careful dancing to make sure that the social distancing was realized.  My early observation is that this seems to make people more caring and courteous - maybe some good will come of this scourge.

Headed out after breakfast, but ten minutes later realized that I had forgotten to empty the fridge. (I know that I don't need to bare my soul regarding my ineptitude, but it does add to the story😏).  So I returned to the motel figuring the loss of a half hour would be more than made up by the time saved in not having to buy meals, and that would be if any restaurants were still open.  Was on my way for good by 7:50 a.m.

Traffic was surprisingly sparse all day and caused no delays, but road work certainly did.  Lost a half hour near Winston-Salem and a few minutes at a half dozen other construction sites.

At about 2 p.m. I was feeling a bit groggy so I put my head back for about 20 minutes at a rest area.  Was good for the rest of the day!

Once I made the turn at Erie I knew I had it made.  And I rang the bell (my key and fob were with Mardi to replace hers that went to her office manager so she could pick up the mail) at 9 p.m. exactly.

Ten minutes later, my lady had poured my rye and coke.  Life is good!

And I won a game of Skip-Bo before settling down to pen this epic post.  The world is unfolding (in unit #401) as it should.  But I have a feeling that life is never going to be quite the same, comfortable experience we are used to.  Won't know much for at least 14 days, the time of my isolation.

The following picture was taken by Mardi a couple of days ago.  No egrets or herons yet, but beautiful just the same.  Certainly glad to be home!

Note for Matt:  I fueled up in North Carolina at $1.99 per gallon.  Fifteen minutes later I crossed into Virginia and saw a sign for $1.63.  But don't pass too far by.  You're into West Virginia before you know it and their price was $2.33.  Safe travels for you and Calvin.

This will likely be my last post for this adventure.  Thanks for riding along folks!

1 comment: