Monday, November 28, 2022

RSV and Reinvent

 The news of children's hospitals being overcrowded because of rising RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) cases makes me glad that Mardi and I are participating in the Moderna RSV trial that will hopefully lead to a successful vaccine.  Unfortunately, the trial won't be complete for a couple of years so the crisis is far from being resolved.

-------------------------------------------

Stopped at the greenhouse to drop off Sean's gift card from the Turkey Roll.  He and Ewen were wrapping mulch skids for the winter.

The rest of the staff is temporarily furloughed.  Pots for the Easter Lily planting are backordered and time is running out.  Fingers crossed that they arrive in the next couple of days!

--------------------------------------------

Davey Lumber folks are trimming the trees out front.



Our building and its grounds are well maintained.  Expensive, but comforting.

---------------------------------------------

As you are aware, I recently had to admit to myself that I'm no longer up for the heavy physical activities that I enjoyed at the greenhouse.  Still lots that I can do, but a sobering moment nonetheless.

Today I came across a YouTube video and I'm sharing it with you in case some of you have had the same awakening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHMOQ_054U

It talks about the four phases of retirement:

1 - the vacation phase

2 - feeling lost phase

3 - trial and error phase, and finally,

4 - reinvent and rewire phase

In my case, the "vacation" phase lasted just two weeks before I got to the "feeling lost" phase.  And that only lasted a couple of days before I reinvented myself in, first the truck sales business, second my farm labour activities, and I guess that you could also now include the blog thing which has become somewhat of a calling.

Because of this, these 30 years of "retirement" have been among the happiest days of my life.  Friends (including golfers and Trompers) and family have also been key, as is the Optimist purpose of helping others.

Having Mardi beside me for the past 19 years has been a big part of that happiness. 

I certainly hope that all of you have been, or will be. able to achieve and enjoy that "reinvent" phase as well.

---------------------------------------------

The Holiday Train will be parked near Gage Park tomorrow at 7:30 p.m.  If we can get near the area Mardi and I hope to see it.

Stay well.


No comments:

Post a Comment