Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Remember

 Mardi and I began the day with a walk along the waterfront.  

She brought along a plastic bag and a glove so that she could pick up some garbage along the way.


What a gal!

We met Sue's brother Craig and Charlene on our walk.  They were enjoying the waterfront on the way to Costco.  Small world!

-------------------------------------------------

Then I headed to the greenhouse to prepare a couple of gardens for winter.  When I went to dump the refuse I saw these geese in the neighbours' pond.


They looked like they were really on their way south.  Enjoy the flight folks.  Too bad you can't teach the confused ones that stay north all winter how to make that trip.

-------------------------------------------------

Optimist meeting tonight.  A really good one!

A.J. had arranged for brother Greg to address the club from Comox/Courtney, B.C. via video link.  

Greg described his 32 year career in the Canadian military, from his Army Reserve posting to Cambodia on a United Nations mission, to his Air Force posting to Afghanistan as a Flight Engineer, the guy who (when he's not fixing something that's broke on a Chinook helicopter) is sitting by the open door with his gun in hand.  I remember Mardi getting a call from Greg to tell her "It's not me mom." before she heard on the news that a Chinook had gone down.  Greg's crew went out, accompanied by helicopter gun ships, to lift the downed helicopter and bring it back to base.

He talked about what raising your kids on base is like.  And he also talked about the military today, that is having trouble recruiting, and as a result is only at two thirds strength.

His talk, when Remembrance Day is so close, was both inspiring and sobering.  Well done soldier!

LEST WE FORGET

--------------------------------------------------

Stay well.  And please remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment