I sent yesterday's blog and then tapped back into my email to discover a copy of the diary message that Sue sent to her four kids:
"David and I just happened to drive by a cemetery for Canadian soldiers who died fighting off Germans in 1943 in Ortona, Italy. We stopped and went in. Gardeners carefully tend over 1600 graves, with every stone planted with perennials. I was overwhelmed and could not hold back some tears. Such a waste of life. Each stone identified the fallen soldier and gave his age at the time of his death. I couldn’t help but think of my own children as I read many headstones. We can’t forget our soldiers. I also thought of what is going on in Ukraine and wish we could do more to end the senseless death and destruction."
Amen! A mother's message to her 20 to 28 year old children.
And think about the men and women who served and died in Afghanistan. I can't believe that there will be anyone tending the graves of those whose bodies never made it home!
There are no easy answers. Unfortunately, man's inhumanity to man will not end. But thankfully, at least there are people in Europe who appreciate the sacrifices that have been made and who tend to those graves.
-------------------------------------------
Mardi and I headed to the greenhouse today. Main activity - composting the end of season remnants. That's Mardi and Brooke.
Ewen manned the tractor and I broke up and stored the Canna Lilies in the foreground. Also organized the storage area a little better.
Made the best of a crummy weather day. We'll be back at it tomorrow.
Meanwhile the boss is having fun in Italy. At Maiori on the Amalfi Coast.
He commented: "The driving is the most fun I've ever had!"
I'm afraid to ask why!
-----------------------------------------
Stay well.



No comments:
Post a Comment