I have been wanting to comment on the racial attacks on Asians in the U.S. while also wondering about what was happening to them here in Canada. For guidance I asked my friend Calvin about his experiences. He sent back the following thoughtful note and has given me permission to share it.
I have not been a victim of any attack or
racism which is probably because I am a male and I do not venture out very often
but this is a sad indication of how our society has evolved whereby citizens who
venture outside of their homes must be vigilant and aware of their environment
to ward off any possible attack whether it be physical or verbal. I wonder if
the Spanish were subjected to this type of attacks 100 years ago when the
Spanish Flu pandemic was responsible for many deaths.
I believe that the names
of these attackers should be made public as was done with the man who conducted
a racist rant in an Asian supermarket in Mississauga last year to shame them and
demonstrate to their family, friends, and neighbours as to what type of person
they are and to change their behaviour and thought process, this is not
acceptable to anyone regardless of race, ethnicity, or religious beliefs. In
Quebec, I saw this treatment directed towards indigenous people and we are also
seeing how they are being treated by the healthcare system.
Let's hope by these
attacks being made public, people will take their heads out of the sand and
finally accept that this is a problem that needs rectification.
Calvin"
Trudeau and Legault both kept their heads in the sand and cried foul when Quebec was accused recently of being racist. But the evidence shows that race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, and I might add language, do receive a French supremacy response.
And I agree with Calvin that it is people with a limited level of intellect and common sense who are the main culprits. But, the rest of us are somewhat complicit by not speaking up for, and protecting, the victims.
Of course, none of this is involved in the treatment that we give to Calvin on the golf course. He's fair game there just like the rest of us.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Calvin.
-----------------------------------------------
Mardi got her pretty red convertible out of storage this morning, so she now gets to park in our underground spot and my pretty red van is banished to the above ground lot 😞. Talk about discrimination!
The old Hyundai now moves to the junky back of her office lot (it's Asian after all 😉).
-----------------------------------------------
I'm really getting itchy feet about vacations. That's a topic for tomorrow.
Just three days to go for Mardi and me. Stay well.
No comments:
Post a Comment