Up at 7:15 to prepare for golf. Outside temperature was -1C. So, our first order of business was to phone the course and cancel. Wimpy, but smart!
Before I move on, I must recount an uncomfortable experience that I had yesterday in a Walmart washroom. I followed three young black boys, aged about 10 to 15, neatly dressed, with cornrows, into the washroom. Inside, they did not head for the urinals and I wasn't sure what was going on. I went to the urinal ahead of them.
While I was standing there another white man came in, and since the other urinal had just become available he motioned for them to go ahead. One of the boys said "It's OK, I don't mind waiting".
As I left the urinal, the oldest boy told one of his brothers to go ahead. First, I was upset with myself for not recognizing what had been going on. And second, I was horrified that it was necessary in this country for their parents to teach these decent young men to yield to the white man. Very unsettling! This will be with me for a long time.
Back to today. I had been in need of a haircut for a couple of days, so took the opportunity today to get buzzed....literally! No pictures of this boy for a couple of days!
The ladies went for a brisk walk in the cool air this morning.
We left to pick up Jo-Ann at 4:30 and headed for Disney Springs. The usual boat ride and stroll back to Raglan Road. Perhaps because of the cold day, the place was buzzing. We waited for over an hour for a table.
An Irish family was performing outside so we spent the wait productively.
The boys enjoyed their gig.
And did some dancing as well. That's their mom's head in the picture. Must be proud! The oldest boy played the concertina, while the middle one played banjo and guitar and the youngest the drum and a flute. Dad played guitar, violin and a couple of versions of Irish bagpipes. Excellent entertainment!
Inside, the show was good as well. An all female Irish group performed.
And the Irish dancers brought up some new troops from the audience as usual.
And right beside us......
This is Jo-Anne's last evening with us. We mail her home in the morning.
It's been a busy week. We've hit most of the local highlights and enjoyed our time together.
Tomorrow we are to have Jo-Anne at the airport by 7 a.m., then Bob and Lois Reid arrive at 9 a.m. and a new adventure awaits.







No comments:
Post a Comment