Another comment, this time from Jo-Anne: "If we were living in a land of equal opportunity, there would be a Hand & Foot rematch at 7 a.m. instead of 7 p.m. by which time Mardi's partner is practically brain dead."
There are two problems for me with this plea:
- When is 7 a.m.? I thought that they had eliminated that time from the clock!
- Now that I know I have an advantage at 7 p.m. (I'm brain dead all day - it's a fair fight if Jo-Anne is the same way) there is no way I would change the time.
We headed for Bok Tower Gardens at about 10:45 a.m. Edward Bok was the publisher of the Ladies Home Journal. He lived by a mantra, etched into his brain by his Dutch grandmother as he left Holland at age six.
And his own take on it.
From his home nearby in Florida he would often walk to the top of Iron Mountain. At 280 feet above sea-level it was the highest point in central Florida. He eventually bought the property and decided to create a park that would meet those goals. He hired the very best to build his tower and gardens - the landscape architect had created the Washington Mall for example - and gave the finished product to the people of Florida.
Mardi and I bought memberships for Leu Gardens in Winter Park last February and they have reciprocal rights here, saving us each the $14 entry fee.
As you enter the gardens you pass over this exposed stone walkway. It's my favourite spot - walking on it is like having your feet massaged.
The bell tower is a beautiful blend of pastel stone and iron.
Carillon concerts are held at various times during the day and you can watch on closed circuit TV as the Carillonneur makes magic with the 60 bells in the tower.
The performance started at 1 p.m. sharp as you can see by the clock.
and lasted half an hour.
While the area around the tower is lovely......
the whole park is beautiful and peaceful.
After the concert, we had lunch at the licensed cafe on site and then resumed our exploration.
Even at this time of year, colour is to be found.
It was a wonderful day, and the weather was perfect.
After we left Bok Tower Gardens we made a stop at Davidsons of Dundee, the citrus candy makers. I bought lots of candied ginger (last year's supply lasted into November - hopefully what I bought this time will keep us going until we return next year).
We picked up Jo-Ann for dinner and headed to Miller's Ale House, but the fresh lobster special was not available. So, Jo-Ann and I settled for a pair of lobster tails each.
Our Hand and Foot opponents were pretty cagey - one bought the steak special, the other bought the lobster tails, a huge baked potato for a side, and split it to make surf and turf.
I'm not allowed to discuss who won the two games of Hand and Foot that we played afterwards. but Jo-Ann and I are still undefeated!
Nevertheless, Mardi and I are still friends.
While the decision to forego golf and go to the Bok today turned out well, tomorrow is a different matter. It is dropping to -2C tonight and by our 10 a.m. tee time it is forecast to be +2C. rising to 12C. Yikes!
No comments:
Post a Comment