Monday, October 6, 2025

My Golf Family

 My golf buddies had a get-together today, arranged by Al Knapp.  There are six of us who regularly golf together.  Obviously we add others to fill out two foursomes, and today those were two of my favourite ladies, Maureen and Jill.

 We golfed at MontHill..........


..........and then headed to the Erie Beach Hotel for dinner.


I've known David since 1960 😄, Al and Gary since the 1970's, Matt and Calvin since the early 2000's.  Special people who would do anything for each other if asked.  And an important part of my life.

We were later joined by my three daughters (at the far end of the table).  

Barbara and Jo-Ann are returning to Ottawa tomorrow. so it was nice to see them before they leave.

Thanks for putting it all together Al!

---------------------------

OK, so now the story about the gift that Malcolm gave me last night.

My Uncle Tom Brown (his birth name was Gallaugher, but his mother died when he was young and his wicked stepmother was abusive and burned the only picture that he had of his mother.  So he left home and took the name of the Brown family that took him in.) was married to my mom's sister Ann.

My dad had abusive parents as well - a stern Scottish father and an abusive mother who had been a "home girl" and taken from her father as a young teenager and sent to Canada where she was abused as well.  Not surprising I guess that she was not so nice to her son.  Dad moved out as a teenager and lived with a favourite uncle and aunt.

Dad and Tom worked together at the York Trading Company and I assume their similar growing experiences drew them together.  They were very close friends and married sisters.

When my dad died, Tom made sure that I got to go on a fishing trip each year, and when I was old enough to drink he shared his Teacher's Highland Cream (and 7-Up) with me on each trip.

So, when we went to Scotland earlier this year, those memories resurfaced and I looked for Teacher's in each bar we visited, without success.

Malcolm was aware of my failed quest, so when we all got home he headed to the LCBO and bought me a bottle.............


....................and I was able to bring back those fond memories..........


.........sans the 7-Up of course!

Thanks Malcolm for your special thought!

Once again, family was special.

---------------------------------

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so if nothing exciting happens I won't likely post.  In that event, I'm wishing Mardi's brother Steve a happy birthday.  All the best!

And stay well everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment