Sunday, July 14, 2024

Seedlings to Trees

 Despite the heat and humidity, I managed to finish up another garden.  Two wagon loads of red clay, weeds and field grass roots - replaced by top soil and mulch.  The Flowering Dogwood is much happier now.


Behind the Dogwood we have a Chestnut and two Oaks.  Their turn to be worked on comes up next.

Those three trees started out as seedlings a few years ago - the Oaks here at Trillium and the Chestnut in Mardi's backyard in Stoney Creek.  It's nice to see them maturing.  Unfortunately, the Chestnut will likely never flower and produce nuts - it takes two trees to tango.

I also weeded the front gardens again.  Otherwise Mother Nature figures that you don't care and takes over.

Then cut some grass, but with a darkening sky I called it quits before finishing.  Put everything away and got into the van before the rain started.  Torrential downpour all the way home, but it stopped before I got out of the van.  Clean living I guess!  Had a rye and coke to celebrate.

------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Mardi headed to Collingwood with brother Greg and Diane for the Lougheed family reunion.  Had a nice visit with her cousins and their families.

Interestingly, Mardi and her brothers pronounce the family name with the emphasis on the first syllable - LOUGheed, whereas the folks up north emphasize the second syllable - LougHEED.  Don't know why.  Doesn't matter.

------------------------------------------------

Golf tomorrow.  Need a birdie.

Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment