Birthday greetings go out today to our Wordle Moderator, Golf Statistician, and good friend Barry Kopysh. We'll have a drink in your honour Barry (actually, it took two drinks 😋, you are very honourable).
----------------------------------------
In case you thought that I was serious yesterday when I commented that "Life isn't fair", I thought that I should share something that I wrote - in a philosophical moment, to myself - a few years ago.
I’M A LUCKY MAN
· To have been born in Canada, a free,
democratic, resource rich country
· To have not faced discrimination and
hatred based on race, colour or creed
· To have food, housing, transportation
and health care as givens
· To have been born to parents who were
loving, hardworking, honest and responsible
· To have been raised to believe in
fair play, honesty, hard work, accountability, achievement
· To have been offered employment at
Dofasco after my father’s death and be given the opportunity to progress
through hard work and dedication despite lacking a formal university degree
· To have good friends to trust and
rely upon
· To be loved by my children and
grandchildren
· To have found Mardi after my marriage
ended
· To be able to be physically active at
my “advanced” age
· To have enough financial resources to
enjoy my retirement, whether golfing, travelling, working or just relaxing
· Although I awake to discomfort every morning, I relish each day. Regarding the second line, although I haven't faced discrimination, all of my daughters have - Barbara and Jo-Ann due to their Indigenous heritage, and Kathryn due to her severe hearing loss. I'm proud of them for overcoming that hate.
------------------------------------------------ A couple of days ago it was Kamala Harris' speech that inspired. Today, it was Benjamin Netanyahu, speaking to the U.S. Congress who caught my attention. He explained the Jewish historical experience and the current Iranian intention to eliminate Israel extremely well.
-
I
No comments:
Post a Comment