I am really frustrated/angry/saddened by the way that our flag is being used today. Now, it seems to have come to symbolize the "freedom convoy" and when I see a car drive by with the flag flying I have to wonder - are they being patriotic (in the way that most of us interpret that word) or are they simply being anti-vax assholes? The answer is easier if it's a big flag on a pickup truck!
Flags on poles are still OK. But, it's a terrible thing when you have to hold back on putting a flag on your car in case you are profiled as an idiot terrorist.
July 1st should be interesting. I'm guessing that the protesters will try to dominate the conversation that day with their flags flying "proudly".
------------------------------------------
And I'm equally confused by a CBC article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/monuments-sir-john-a-macdonald-indigenous-history-1.6441371
It identifies the Augustus Jones monument in Stoney Creek (King Street parkette near New Mountain Road) as "problematic" to the Indigenous people.
Jones was a Surveyor who surveyed most of Southern Ontario which would probably antagonize the native people. But, when I read his biography it outlined that he was a friend of Joseph Brant (who owned slaves, but that's another story). He married the daughters of two Indigenous chiefs (at the same time unfortunately - polygamy was an option in those days), and was fluent in the Ojibway and Mohawk languages. His life was integrated with the Indigenous people and his barn was burned because he was investigating the murder of three natives.Maybe my historian daughter Jo-Ann can shed some light on this for me.----------------------------------------
Made just a cameo appearance at the greenhouse today - my leg kept giving out. Moved some carts around (they gave me something to hang onto) and then headed home.
Hey fellas. Mother's Day is Sunday and Trillium Hill only has a few thousand hanging baskets left.
This is just a sampling, but don't leave it too late!
---------------------------------------------
Blue Jays were rained out. I wish that had happened to our Wordle challenge a couple of times this week. I'm not doing well.
Stay calm. Keep breathing.



No comments:
Post a Comment