First, some congratulations are in order. We're learning that Mark Richardson became a grandfather Oct. 27, Dave (Doc) Jewett achieved the same exalted status on Roger's birthday, Dec. 22, and Tromper Dave Bagshaw has just received a knee replacement which will hopefully allow him to hike with us once again (two of the people who hiked the 75 miles through the high Andes to Machu Picchu with Sean and I had knee replacements).
-------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your comments following yesterday's posting about my 60 years of Optimism. At the presentation, President Al noted that Optimist International's records about me weren't complete (I guess they lost the clay tablets). So, for his benefit (the rest of you can just take a boring ride along) and since the weather has me grounded today I will expand on my journey to that achievement.
The story actually began when I was 12 years old and started setting pins at Wilf Barlow's Bar-Don Lanes. Two years later, when my father died, Wilf became a father figure for me. By coincidence, design, or happenstance, several of the pin setters were fatherless, and Wilf mentored all of us.
In 1954 he was instrumental in the founding of the Optimist Club of Stoney Creek, and in 1960 he invited me to join the club (Al, I believe that Keith Cummings or Ralph Hill, perhaps both, also signed my application). I was inducted in April of that year, a month before David was born.
I served as President in 1967, Canada's centennial year. And, for a second time, in 1976, America's bicentennial year. That year we achieved Honour Club status, just the second time the Club had managed it. In yesterday's picture, the Honour Club banner can be seen above my Past President's pin.
Several of the other bowling pin setters eventually joined the Club, and, among them, Lyle Tweedle and Red Boyce also served a term as President. Wilf brought a lot of members into the club and with his enthusiasm became known as "Mr. Optimist" in Ontario Optimist circles. He also led golf excursions to Myrtle Beach, where we had interclub meetings with members of the local James Island Club.
During Wilf's son Jim's term as President, Jim decided that it was time for us to have our own club house. So he, Lyle and I formed a Building Committee to make that happen. We ran house raffles and motorcycle draws to raise funds, and I remember appealing to Dofasco for financial help. Their $10,000 donation was the largest outside contribution we received.
The Town loaned us the balance at their municipal borrowing rate (the building, being on parkland, became their property the day it was completed) and it was paid off on schedule.
I insisted that in our agreement the Town would give the Optimist Club perpetual rights to use the building and the snack booth. It continues (before and eventually after covid) to be used for private and community events as well which our Hall Manager controls.
In 1992, the Club nominated me to be awarded one of the Commemorative Medals for the 125th Anniversary of the Canadian Confederation.
Obviously I was a lot more active back then than now!In today's environment it is very difficult to generate enthusiasm among the members when we aren't allowed to use our building or be active in the community. But, when the coronavirus is in the rear view mirror, I'm sure that President Al will be able to reinvigorate the Club and bring it back to it's previous active role.
I'll close with the Optimist Creed. It's just as difficult to abide by as the Ten Commandments, but it's definitely a useful guide, particularly in these covid times.
Promise Yourself
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
-----------------------------------------
Al has observed that I have a great bunch of friends and I couldn't agree more. I am a lucky man. To all of you, Merry Christmas!

No comments:
Post a Comment