Yesterday I worked at the greenhouse for three hours, then spent some quality time with grandson Malcolm, followed by watching another Blue Jays victory. Nice day!
Today Malcolm, who is visiting from the GTA, was adopted by Charlie.
Notice those Mum planters in the background. They'll be mentioned later.
Kathryn and I have been weeding the gardens along the crest of the hill down front. And I then redefine the perimeters and add mulch.
I've mentioned the Spruce in the front of this picture before.
I call it my "Charlie Brown" tree. It started as a four foot runt with just five straggly limbs. Not saleable. Look at it now!
Here is an example of what we have been doing. Before we removed the weeds and the spaghetti roots of the field grass...........
............and after.
That three year old Oak was originally planted by squirrels, under the Pine trees along the driveway. I moved it here.
As were the two much older Oaks in the back of this picture.
The Chestnut in the foreground was planted by squirrels in Mardi's backyard on Gateshead.
David has commented that it would be a lot less work if I had left the hill just grass. What would be the fun in that?
Some day the Grandkids will be telling their children that those giant trees were planted by their Great Grandpa.
Besides, the Garden Centre will eventually expand and the area where you saw the Mums will be the parking lot. By then, these trees will mostly hide the ugly house at the front corner of the property.
The Cedars along the fence that were supposed to hide it keep getting killed by their pool chlorine runoff.
-----------------------------------------------------
Our Blue Jays swept the San Francisco Giants today, putting them three games in the lead in the American League East over the New York Yankees. And the Yankees come to town tomorrow. A very important series!
-----------------------------------------------------
Stay well.






No comments:
Post a Comment