Wednesday, January 1, 2025

Welcome to 2025

 As I reported yesterday, I have been working on my memoirs.  Sister Judy spent a lot of time searching ancestry.com for information about our forebears and I have recently added her information to my story.

My dad told me that the Craigs fought for the Gordons in the war that ended with the Battle of Culloden in 1746.  A lot of Scots were banished, or left, Scotland after that event or after the agricultural Highland Clearances that started in 1750.

That seems to be the case for our family because Judy could not find anything previous to 1753 when John Craig (Cragg) was born in England.

His son, William John Craig was an adventurous sort.  He came to North America with his wife and three children on the barque William Donald in 1828.


 He also had children in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Lobo, Ontario (to the west of London).  He left for Australia in 1854 aboard the clipper ship Militiades.


His first born son remained in Canada thankfully.  Interesting stuff.

----------------------------------------------

I had to put that work away when it was time to go to dinner at the Innsville with our friends.


Circling from left to right: Joyce, Stu, Georgina, Irene, Mardi and me.  Matt and Maureen were to join us but had to change their plans.  Good friends, good food, mediocre service.

Then it was time to watch the World Junior game.  Unfortunately, Canada lost in their fourth game, losing to the U.S. 4-1 due to stupid penalties.  And they lost their second game to lowly Latvia because they didn't take them seriously and decided to figure skate instead of playing hockey.  Sad performances!

Last up was watching hundreds of thousands of people celebrating at midnight the December 31 birthday of my daughter Barbara and the January 1 birthday of Mardi's son Greg.  Nice tribute 😁.

My New Year's resolution is to stay well physically and mentally so that I can enjoy the next New Years.  I wish the same for all of you.

Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment