As a follow-up to yesterday's blog, perhaps this response that I sent to Mark Richardson after my 70th birthday will help to explain who/why I am. (Fair warning to John, Mardi gets mentioned again.)
Subject: Re: My
70th
Thanks
Mark. Going in to the party, my feeling was that 70 was just a
number. I had this vision of friends and family visiting and chatting
together, blow out the candles, and go home. Nice time. The reality
was much more emotional than I expected - especially the music that Roger and
the boys wrote and "Doc and The Fishguts Tribute Band" played.
I saw two people that I had not seen for 50 years! And everyone who
showed up meant so much more to me than I had anticipated. It was
fantastic and I'm not sure I have emotionally recovered yet.
Thank
you for your generous comments below.
The
saying that I quoted was supposed to be an old German proverb. "You
have to take life as it happens - but you should try to make it happen the way
you want to take it." I have always translated that as "be an
architect of your fate, not a victim". Or, it doesn't matter what
comes your way - deal with it and move on. I think that approach is
somehow related to the loss of my father and how I got through that period
of my life.
Sometimes
it takes a stroke of luck too - like finding a Mardi or a Julie to help you get
through the tough times and appreciate and properly enjoy the good ones.
I'll
be at your 70th - but don't be in any rush to get there. Keep on smelling
the roses.
Gettysburg
here we come!
Regards,
Bud.
------------------------------
A bit of gardening today and then we watched the Blue Jays lose in extra innings. But, it's still fun to watch the young guys play.
Golf tomorrow. Stay well.
No comments:
Post a Comment