Saturday, September 7, 2024

Aging and Farting

 There were turkeys on the course on Thursday - in addition to our foursome 😎.


This is the time of the year when turkey sightings seem to happen.  Not the kind of "birdie" that we were looking for however.

---------------------------------

Folks seem to have wonder at the things that I do at my "advanced" age.  

I have sometimes wondered myself what drives me and I'll share something that I wrote to myself about fifteen years ago (I do that kind of thing) that may shed some light on the subject.

ON AGING

 The round numbers associated with aging are only symbolic.  The really important milestones in life are usually contained in the crooked numbers.

 For example, I have always maintained that I was born at the age of six when we moved to Fruitland, since that is when my early childhood memories really begin.

And the trauma of age fourteen, when my dad died, shaped much of my life thereafter.  (As I write this in 2009, Sean is the same age as I was then – makes you stop and think.)   My dad expected a lot of me.  Perhaps that's what drives me.

 The arrival of children: at age twenty-one, I married Jean, and adopted Barbara and Jo-Ann; at age twenty-three, David came along; at age twenty-nine, Kathryn.  Jeffrey was adopted three years later.

 At thirty-seven, I became a grandfather for the first time.

 On my forty-second birthday, I was astonished to see how young it felt to reach a birthday that my father was denied.

 Taking a retirement package at age fifty-five, as Director of Sales Planning and Administration, was somewhat of a surprise.  My sister’s death four years later, at the same age, was a jolt.

I retired in December which didn't feel right and two weeks later started working for Laurence Marshall at Larry’s Trucking and at Golden Horseshoe Tire for about three years, as Credit Manager, management assistant and finally as Purchasing Manager for Truckland, after Laurence had sold it and it changed names.

 Perhaps my most satisfying job has been my “farm labour” activity as I tried to help David wherever he needed assistance.  Watching your son overcome the obstacles and challenges of entrepreneurship to build a successful business and playing with your grandchildren on the job is as good as it gets.

Falling in love again at age sixty-six and entering my “teenage years” has been wonderful.  The absence of any conflict in this relationship is an incredible and wondrous phenomenon."

I don't know how long this adventure will last, but I'll be "living the dream" as long as I can.   Just trying to stay alive (in every way) folks.

My formula:

- Look at life as an adventure.

- Set reachable goals.

- Be determined to achieve those goals. 

- Don't rush or panic.  Enjoy the journey.

 ----------------------------------------

Now it's Sunday and we attended the Shoreliner BBQ.


Mardi took on the task of preparing and cooking the onions.  I enjoyed the eating part.  And the dessert!


I haven't tried Jim's Duck Farts yet, but I'll tell you that Moose Farts are pretty tasty!  Hope there are leftovers.

Stay well.


No comments:

Post a Comment