Friday, December 3, 2021

Aging Gracefully

 Our first order of business is a shout-out to Dave "Doc" Jewett, who is celebrating a birthday today.  A toast to our good friend and Tromper companion.

-----------------------------------------------

As advertised, we headed to the Aberfoyle Mill to join our Tuesday golf mates as we and our ladies celebrated the Christmas season.


Sven outdid himself with the arrangements and the green marker gifts that he made for each golfer.  We had a wonderful day with very dear friends.
And the Mill did a fine job on the meals.


But, one thing we did notice.  In the past the discussions at an event like this would be focused on our kids, our work, sports or movies.  Today it went more like this:

- how many pills do you take each day? (the record was 17)

- how are you seeing after your cataract operation?

- how are your hearing aids working?

- isn't it nice that we can make eye appointments again?

and, finally, - how much height have you lost as you have aged?  

I don't want to look down on anybody 😉, but a couple of individuals were sensitive to that last question.

In my case the answer to the last question is about an inch and a half - the inch happened when I blew apart a back vertebrae and the half is due to old age.

I suppose the good news is that we are still around to talk about such issues.

--------------------------------------------

A highlight for me was the unexpected presentation of the annual Quoits trophy, which I received from the past champions.


Unfortunately David, my partner, couldn't make it today since the planting of Easter Lilies has commenced.  I'll deliver the trophy to David tomorrow when Mardi and I, together with Matt and Maureen, will do our part to help with the planting.  And, just for the record, David and I plan to repeat as champions in 2022.

------------------------------------------

Enjoy your old age.  Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment