Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Aging Dangerously

 Just a couple of reflections on my post yesterday.  Lori went down first and popped out at the bottom of the slide.  The young man on duty at the top said that bathing suit material made a difference in speed.  And he was right - I was obviously wearing speedy fabric as I shot out the bottom like a missile.

When you hit the water at high speed and land on your backside, with your head lower than your feet, it takes a few seconds to get your bearing.  Thanks to Lori for helping me back up.

And thanks to brother Roger for his attaboy.  And, from a separate thread, thanks to my buddy Gary for his comments:

"Great stuff you crazy old fart!"  (He obviously knows me well) and "The more polite term is ‘aging dangerously’."  (I'd prefer to say "aging actively").

Quite frankly, as I enter this final chapter of my life (length to be determined) it is important to me to be alive in all the ways that I can.  I certainly do not want to just shuffle through life as I see happening a lot to others, especially down here.  Seeing that can be very depressing.

I've been very lucky to have been able to accomplish a lot in my life.  All 50 states, all 10 provinces and a territory, more than a dozen European countries, China twice, Peru where Sean and I hiked 70 miles through the high Andes to Machu Picchu, the north rim of the Grand Canyon with Malcolm, a 28 mile hike across the canyon with Ewen, South Africa with Ethan, the twin towers with Roger a year before 9/11, the Caribbean with Kyle, a west coast tour with Sarah-Jean and Reggie, about 96% of the Bruce Trail with my Tromper buddies.

Why stop now?   What else is waiting out there?

And, by some miracle, I have a partner who shares that philosophy.  
Bring it on!!!
--------------------------------------
Having said that, we just hunkered down today.  Food shopping, a bit of sunning, and dinner at Miller's.  

We plan to golf tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes.
Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment