Thursday, August 14, 2014

Native Spirits

Today we just had two items on the list: Devil's Tower and the Medicine Wheel.  We hiked at both.

The Devil's Tower is thought to be a lava plug that was originally a mile and a half below the surface.  Over the millenia the mile and a half of soil plus another 900 feet eroded away, leaving the tower to dominate the landscape.  

The loop trail around the tower is one and a half miles long, at 5,000 feet above sea level.  

We then drove through rain for three hours, but the skies lifted as we reached the Medicine Wheel.


As at the tower, prayer cloths and other offerings, such as bags of tobacco, had been left by natives who were continuing the tradition of reaching out to the Great Spirit.
                                           
The hike here was three miles round trip at 9.600 feet above sea level and I must confess that it was much more difficult for me this time than the first time that Mardi and I visited the wheel.  Lung capacity isn't what it used to be - damned if I can figure out why.  While I paused for breath a few times, Ewen found prairie dogs, marmots and pikas 
(no pics of the latter - they're too small and too fast.  But, picture a mouse built like a rabbit.)

Prairie Dog

Marmots
Tomorrow we tour Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks.  It will be a busy day!

1 comment:




  1. Wonderful pictures and great commentary men - Jillie and I are enjoying your great adventure - look forward to Yellowstone and the Tetons.

    Jill & Gary


    ReplyDelete