Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Flash Flood

Who says it never rains in the desert?  I've always wanted to see a flash flood and now I can check that off my bucket list.

We headed down to Scottsdale this morning for an activity which will now have to be rescheduled.  It was raining lightly as we left....it had rained for most of the night.  As we headed farther south the rain intensified.

A 75 mph speed limit, driving rain and occasional crosswinds that occur in the mountains make a deadly concoction.  Nevertheless, there are always drivers who believe that they should be able to drive at the limit regardless of conditions.  As a result, we saw seven single vehicle accidents in a three hour period, three of them rollovers.

We finally had to turn back on the Carefree Highway (anything but, today) because the road was under water up ahead.  As we turned back a fleet of police cars, ambulances and fire trucks went where we had been heading.  I assume some cars had been trapped in the flooding.

There was brown water everywhere, but we didn't take time to take many pictures.


Altogether an "interesting" morning.  We're now safely back in our unit and I am celebrating with a rye and coke.  It's 9:55 a.m., which is 12:55 p.m. back in Stoney Creek and Grimsby, plus we were on the road before 6 a.m. so I'm quite comfortable with this decision!

Besides, we're not leaving this joint until the rain stops.

2 comments:

  1. Your post was very timely Bud. I was late getting home today - we played at the Oaks of St. George - the first good weather on a Tuesday for some time. Anyway, Doc who is at the cottage had left a message on our phone regarding the rain in Arizona. Good old Doc eh? He's quite concerned about you and Ewen so I'm trying to get him on the phone right now. The lines been busy for sometime - hmmm, I wonder who he's talking to? Good call today partner, ti always keep your travelling partners safe. Love the Sedona pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "it is 5 o'clock somewhere" doesn't apply to retired people Gramps.

    ReplyDelete