Sunday, March 22, 2026

Almost There

 Last night Mardi and I ate out at Bucky's Seafood in Walterboro.  South Carolina.


Mardi had the Snow Crab Boil and I ordered Whiting (fish) and Shrimps.  Food was great and the restaurant was fairly busy.

Interestingly, we were the only white folks in the restaurant.  But just down the street are a string of big white mansions (former slave owners?) so there is no good reason for those folks to avoid good food, except...........?  Life is sure different down here!

Apparently, when slavery ended a lot of the white folks moved out of the town.  Currently the approximate 5,000 population division between black and white is just about equal - and I'm guessing that they don't mingle much.

---------------------------------------

While we were there we visited the famous Tuskegee Memorial.


During the second world war, and despite the need, the black and white barrier held strong.  So the black airmen stayed apart and over 1,000 were trained at the airport in this town.  They went on to post records that white pilots could only dream about.



As we finish the day we are in Sutton, West Virginia, just north of where highway 19 joins I-79.

We headed to the local El Gallo Mexican restaurant that had been recommended to us.  A great waitress and fine food.  I ordered the Hawaiian Shrimp and Rice, which had their own special dressing.  Awesome! 


Mardi ordered Camaronex A La Mexico, a different shrimp dish and "Oh my goodness" (her words) it was also great.

We'll be stopping there on future trips!

We should arrive home in the early afternoon tomorrow.  In time for Mardi and I to make our medical appointments.

Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment