Thursday, September 4, 2025

Friendships

 Today was golf day at Chippewa Creek, and a life lesson day as it turned out.  

I told Mardi that, with my back and leg issues and my vision difficulties, I would just as soon give up the game for now.  I have no idea where the ball is going and can't see it half the time anyway.  Except that I do want to spend time with my friends, so I will continue.

Matt and Gary couldn't make it today, so I called John Buckley to see if he could join us.  The answer was yes.

John and I rode in the same cart, and both had a crummy first nine.  So crummy in fact that we decided to stop keeping score.  And you know what happened next - our games improved.  But that's not the life lesson.

John said that he enjoys playing with us because we have fun (with Al in the group "fun" might be an inadequate word).  The guys he normally plays with apparently don't have fun - they spend their time grumbling about their games.

And that is when I realized once again just how lucky I am to have the friends that I do.  And why I continue to keep playing despite my lack of aptitude.  Thanks guys!

And John, we'll get you in one of our groups yet.  We have a spare for our Chippewa foursome, so two guys have to be absent before I can invite you to fill in.  But, if you can get up before 5 a.m. there might be more opportunities at Cambridge. where we have only one spare for our two foursomes in the Bell retiree league.  And nothing would stop us from breaking into three groups.

There we do have to keep score, but we make it fun.  A four dollar investment from each golfer will pay off in either Honest Johns (you have to guess what your score will be, and each week that number goes down by one stroke - closest to his number wins, farthest away gets to reset), or Dogmeats (tee shot landing on the green, closest to the hole, and resulting in a par, on a par three).

Having you and Al in the same group is a bit terrifying, but the treats that Rada sends with you make it bearable!

Stay well folks.  And have fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment