Saturday, August 3, 2024

Olympics Ups and Downs

One of the "benefits" of Covid has been that I've been able to watch more of the Olympics.  The athletes are incredible, but two of them deserve special admiration in my mind.

Eleanor Harvey, the fencer, is one of them.  Her mother sold their house to help fund her training costs, they moved in with grandma and her grandmother slept on the couch so that Eleanor could have her own bed (it's not just the athletes that are incredible).

Felix Dolci, the gymnast is another.  The young man won Pan American gold and was on his way to a medal in Paris when a strap broke, sending him crashing to the floor during his spectacular horizontal high bar performance.  He got up and tried again, but another equipment failure occurred.  Nevertheless, he remounted and finished the routine.  Afterwards he talked about how he would do better next time.  Four more years!

I'm stubborn and determined at times, but their level of commitment is well beyond anything that I can comprehend.

You can admire the tennis players and golfers, but they are well paid athletes.  It's these kids who are really special!

------------------------------------------------

On the down side is Damian Warner's failed attempt to duplicate his gold medal performance at the last Olympics.  Unfortunately, age has caught up to him.  But, well done.

And the Women's Soccer team, after a valiant and successful effort to overcome their six point penalty for the spying scandal, lost out in the quarter finals.  Sad, but probably fair - I assume that the team knew about their coaches cheating.

Let's clean up the mess and do better next time. 

-------------------------------------------------

Feeling much better today.  I'll test again tomorrow and see how we're doing.

Stay well.

-----------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment