Saturday, June 3, 2023

Genetics

 This issue of the blog is primarily for those who are genetically connected to me - my siblings, my kids and my grandkids.

My maternal grandparents, Ron Marriott and Elizabeth (nee Nightingale) both died in their late seventies of heart issues.  On my paternal side, the men died of prostrate cancer in their eighties.  I believe that I take after the maternal side, and I assume that my family take after me, at least 50%.  The good news may be that I am named after a great uncle who lived to be 92, and our Mom lasted almost that long (with a pacemaker for her final years).

I have been taking rat poison (appropriate eh?) for a few years now for atrial fibrillation - no real problems.  

But, on our recent trip to the Netherlands, I experienced some chest pain issues on our longer hikes.  Fortunately, I had a prescheduled visit with my heart doctor two days after our return.  He scheduled me for a stress test, which I had yesterday.

An interesting experience!  

They inject a radioactive tracer intravenously into your arm (they said that I would only be nuclear for three or four days- just don't try  to cross the border during that time).  After giving you a few minutes to walk around and get the radioactive juice moving, they take pictures of your chest, front and back while you're lying down - six minutes a side.

Then they finish wiring you up for your Apollo mission and you head for the treadmill. 

      Obviously I have no shame, or is it no pride, or perhaps both?

Three minutes at starting speed, then every three minutes the speed is increased and the walk becomes more uphill.  I think that I lasted about nine minutes before I got the pain and ran out of breath.

Next up, you have to eat (no eating that day before the test, and no caffeine for 24 hours before the test).  Then they take another set of pictures, but just three minutes a side this time.

The verdict?  A narrowing of the artery.  The repair options will be presented to me by my heart doctor.  

But, I'm not ready to hang up my spurs just yet.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jpT2r1BZF8

And, the message for my grandkids?  Stay active.  Be positive. 

Follow the Optimist Creed and you'll be fine!

Promise yourself..............

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your piece of mind.

To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.

To look at the sunny side of things, and make your optimism come true.

To think only the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.

To just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.

To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for feer, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

-------------------------------------------------

Stay well folks.  And believe!


No comments:

Post a Comment