Friday, May 5, 2023

Red Dress Day

 On Monday, I put in a plug for the church dinner at Mardi's church on May 27.  And I included the following:

If you are interested in helping out by enjoying a good dinner, let us know.  With any luck, you'll be sitting beside a wonderful, engaging couple (I'm hoping that Al and Liz come out)!  Mardi has tickets.

Well, they are in fact coming.  But Al corrected me - they are not an "engaging" couple, they are married.  My bad!

Mardi gave me tickets to pass along (I will be golfing with Al on Monday) but I don't think they are valid😟.  Says "adult ticket".

-------------------------------------

What I forgot to mention is that her church choir is having a concert this Sunday at 7 p.m.  Stoney Creek United at the corner of Lake Avenue and King Street.  Two choirs and other performers.  No fee - donations welcomed after the performance.

-------------------------------------

I hope that you folks paused for a minute today to honour Red Dress Day, the homage to murdered and missing Indigenous women.

Sixty-three per cent of Indigenous women have experienced violence, Statistics Canada said in a report last year.

Winnipeg has been called ground zero.

At least 28 Indigenous women in Manitoba have died due to violence since May 2020

May this tragedy come to an end. 

-------------------------------------------

I spent some time at the greenhouse the last two days doing some gardening (still have fork lift work to do but it's out for repair).  And Mardi tagged along and worked with the ladies to get plants ready for shipping.  Nice way to spend a sunny day.

-------------------------------------------

Stay well.



No comments:

Post a Comment