Saturday, April 6, 2024

The Birthday Boy

 Well, it's been a great birthday!  The sun was shining for the first time in a few days and Mardi let me win at cards - what a sweetheart!

Then I spent an hour and a half at the greenhouse painting the sign.  Had to do it.

---------------------------------------

Barry Kopysh reminded me this morning that my theme song is Murray McLauglin's "Why Hang Up Your Spurs".  It's inspirational and it fits my philosophy perfectly.  If you're not familiar with it, I'll bore you with the lyrics.

"Love's sweet flower sometimes withers away,  and this light of mine can start to fade.           Old wounds hurt more on rainy days, but you can't stop trying to find love again.      

 Why hang up your spurs when there's somewhere to ride, when there's pure sweet love to be had from life?  Editor's note: thank you Mardi.                                                           What doesn't kill you makes you stronger inside, like an old oak tree that just refuses to die, why hang them up when you can ride?  

When people die they get laid in the ground, some are dead inside and still walking around.  There's an open door that can be found, don't you rush to help that sun go on down.              

Why hang up your spurs when there's somewhere to ride, when there's pure sweet love to be had from life?  There's a time for worry - that's after you die.  The time for loving is when you're still alive.  Why hang them up when you can ride?"

Murray wrote that following a near death experience due to a heart doctor's mistake.  He returned to song writing and performing and hasn't looked back.  

And it motivates me to keep moving, one step at a time.  Yes, the clock is ticking but, I'm going to ignore it as long as I can!

-------------------------------------------

To finish the day, my sweetie took me out for dinner😍😍 to Chuggies for wings (it's that culture thing again).  And other folks were there.

                                                                                                           

I'm a lucky man!  Great kids, super grandkids, a wonderful great granddaughter, and the love of my life, Mardi.  Add my friends and who could ask for more?

Life  is good.  

Stay well.


No comments:

Post a Comment